Sunday, March 10, 2013

Thinking of you

Hi everyone, it Erika here again.
I wanted to show you a card I made with the adorable Avery in her pajamas. I decided to make this post in to a tutorial of how I did the card, so I hope you'll enjoy it.

Here is the card I will show you how to make.

So, lets start the tutorial. 

I printed the image of Avery onto Letraset Heavy Weight Cardstock and started picking out some colors of Copic. Since I don't remember what colors I used I won't try to make a list with the numbers. You can use whatever colors you have to color the image. 
Here you can see how I have started coloring the image with some pink markers. I used three to four different shades for all of my coloring. I think you get the best blending that way. 




When I color I usually start with the darkest color and then work my way from darkest to lightest. I color in small sections and mostly I go over the area about two or three times. If I don't like the way it blends and I can still see where the colors overlap I will go over the area again. 





When I was finished coloring the image it did my best to cut it out. I have to admit that I am not the best "fuzzy cutter", but I do what I can. In the smallest areas where I can reach with my scissors I use an X-Acto knife. 

When I have finally managed to cut out my image I use a brush tip maker, in this case a Copic Multiliner, and I go around the cut edges and color them black. I also make sure to cover up any imperfections and correct any mistakes I have made while cutting. Sometimes I cut away too much and the black line around the image disappears or I might not cut enough and I get a white line. In either case the black maker come in handy when covering up those mistakes. It also makes the image look more finished.

I then made a standard size card base from some white Bazzill cardstock and folded it.

I wanted some cute paper to go with my image and I went through my drawers and found some great papers from the Lawn Fawn "Daphne's Closet" collection. 

I cut the papers in to two strips that were 1" and 2" wide. 



I also went around the cut pieces with a Distress Marker in the color Bundled Sage. The papers were a bit blue in color and the pen is green, but it was the best match I could find and they went pretty well together. 

I then cut a piece of white cardstock and stamped my sentiment from a very old Heidi Grace stamp set I had. I made the sentiment strip 2" wide and used the Distress Marker around the edges of that piece too.


I also found some cute matching washi tape that I cut in to a banner. 

I adhered all of the pieced to my card base and made sure that the washi tape strip was in the right place and wouldn't show behind the image.







Finally I adhered the colored image and added some pink Stickles to her clothing and the bow on the teddy bear.

I also used a little bit of Glossy Accent to her eyes to make them look more real.

For a final finish I rounded the corners with my 1/2" Corner Chomper from We R Memory Keepers.



And that was my card for today. I hope you guys enjoyed it and I'll be back later this month with another card. Hopefully you'll be able to see my card being made live on YouTube soon, but I still haven't worked up the courage to record a video ;)

Here you can see the finsihed card again and feel free to visit my personal blog for more cards made by me.






1 comment:

I love hearing what you have to say! Please feel free to leave your comments below.

copyright © 2013 the paper nest · graphics by erica belton · web design by red peach designs