Friday, May 17, 2013

Making Envelopes......=)


Hey it's Nikki here for The Paper Nest Dolls. As part of our term we were asked to complete a tutorial. This made me a little nervous because I have never done ANYTHING like this before, so please be gentle. As most of you are aware, I am a member of YouTube but have absolutely NO CLUE how to do videos so my tutorial is going to be a blog tutorial.
          I chose to do a tutorial on how to make envelopes, something I do a lot for my cards because 1: it is really hard to find envelopes that fit my big cards that I like and 2: I can coordinate them with the cards I make, either with paper or embellishments.


Supplies Needed

8.5X11 or 12X12 piece of card stock
Ruler
Pencil
Scissors (sharp and small)
Scor Pad (I use Martha Stewart here)
Bone
Double-sided tape (I use Scor tape, because it is strong) or you can purchase envelope glue.

Picture 1a
Step 1: You start out by measuring the paper. I do like to use a medium weight card stock, it just holds up better with the folding, ect. This particular example I am making a card that is 5X5" square. For this a 8.5X8.5" piece of card stock is a good size as it gives a little bit of room for embellishments. See 1a.

Typical Measurements

5x5" - 8.5X8.5" card stock
5.5X5.5" - 8.75X8.75" card stock
6X6" - 9X9" card stock

Martha Stewart Envelope Attachment

Picture 1a - 1
Picture 2a.
Step 2: Although I am not a huge fan of the Martha Stewart Scor board, I DO LIKE the fact it has an envelope attachment that can help with the scoring of the card. I would scor all four corners at the 3.25" mark. Please see 1a -1. You WILL have overlapping and that IS what you want. Next see 2a.

Picture 3a.

Step 3: Cut all the overlapping corners as shown in picture 3a.

Picture 4a
Step 4: Use the bone to get a nice tight fold on all four corners. See 4a.

Picture 5a
Step 5: Tape the edges of the card with the double sided tape. You want to be as close to the edge as you can WITHOUT going over so you don't tape the inside of the card shut. See 5a.






Voila! You have your envelope! You can make the decision as to how you would like to decorate the envelope, I am a minimalist type of girl so I do not do too much decorating. If you choose to use a paper that coordinates with the card you are doing, just keep in mind to go with a lighter colour so you can address it and it can be seen (if you are mailing). Or you can make a label with a shaped spellbinder if you would like, just make sure it is STRONGLY attached to the envelope..... hope you enjoyed this tutorial.... xo

9 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki
    You did a fantastic job.
    Now my 10 yr.old knows exactly how to make an envelope for her growing collection of Christine's stamps and you made it easy:-)
    Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial Nikki. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tutorial for anyone who doesn't know how fun it is to make the final added touch - a matching envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this Nikki, I have this scoreboard and didnt know how to use the envelope piece. Cheers Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki:
    I am just seeing this now, but I thank you gratefully for it. I actually have that attachment as I have the Martha Stewart Scoreboard. Thank you again. Excellent tutorial.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. This just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u so much it really a big help

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I will make my own envelopes for odd sized cards!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Please feel free to leave your comments below.

copyright © 2013 the paper nest · graphics by erica belton · web design by red peach designs